frequently asked questions
- WHY AFFIRMATIONS?
It's simple. Affirmations have been used successfully to treat people with low self-esteem, depression, and other mental health conditions. They have been shown to stimulate the areas in our brain that make us more likely to foster positive changes in regard to our health.
- WHAT DO THESE CARDS ENCOURAGE?
Each card has a different characteristic and value that encourages positive thinking and promotes overall well-being. Thoughtfully curated, collectively, they represent a dynamic human existence.
- IS THERE EVIDENCE BEHIND AFFIRMATIONS?
Affirmations have many benefits:
- The use of positive verbiage connected with "I" statements light up areas of our brain that promote growth and change. They use our prefrontal cortex and posterior cingulate regions of the brain, both of which are associated with self-related processing. This allows each of us to view ourselves in a positive way, ultimately leading to our success.
- Think of positive affirmations the way you think of physical exercise. Many of us do repetitive exercises to improve our physical health. Similarly, affirmations are like exercises for our mind and influence our mindset.
- Positive affirmations may also help to alleviate the effects of stress. In one study, a short affirmation exercise boosted the problem-solving abilities of "chronically stressed" subjects to the same level as those with low stress.
- WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF REPETITION?
These positive mental repetitions can reprogram our thinking patterns so that over time we begin to think and act differently.
Research has shown that talking to yourself out loud can motivate you to move forward with your goals, help you focus on a task at hand, and combat self-criticism. There’s a particular kind of focus involved in talking to yourself out loud. Psychologists define it as “selective attention" - choosing to focus on one thing at a time. Doing it once is a great first step, but like most things, consistency leads to great benefits.
- WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF COMBINING THE AFFIRMATION WITH AN ACTIVITY AND CONVERSATION PROMPT?
- Physical: Helps children with coordination, balance, motor skills, and using their natural energy (which promotes better sleeping and eating habits.
- Emotional: When children play, they learn to deal with emotions that arise, such as fear, anger, frustration, and aggression, in a situation they can control. This allows them to develop the skills of empathy and understanding.
- Cognitive: Children learn to think, read, remember, reason, and pay attention through play.
- Creative: Children love to use their imagination. By promoting this, we encourage them to form unique ideas, and problem solve on their own.
- Communication: Kids exchange thoughts, information, or messages by speech, signals, writing, or actions, allowing them to practice expressing themselves in healthy ways.
- WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF DOING THIS TOGETHER? WITH YOUR CHILD?
You promote good mental health by the things you say and do, and through the environment you create at home. A child's self-esteem is built through strengthening family bonds. A stable, strong family unit helps children develop positive behaviors, encourages communication, and aids their academic performance and social skills.
- WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM BENEFITS OF USING THESE CARDS?
Harvard University shows the brain develops rapidly during the first years of life. Before children turn three years old, they’re already forming 1 million neural connections every minute. These links become the brain’s mapping system, formed by a combination of nature and nurture. Relationship bonds, learning experiences, and emotional interactions all affect childhood development. Which in turn impacts adult behavior as the child grows.
- WHY IS COMMUNITY A COMMON THEME IN YOUR CARDS?
Community gives a child a strong sense of support, belonging, self, and connection. Without being part of a community, a child can soon feel isolated, alone and unworthy. With a community’s support, children feel emotionally and physically safe. They are able to develop social abilities, and have a sense of unity and care for others.
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY THE COLORS USED IN THE DECK ARE ROOTED IN SCIENCE?
Colors affect our mood, emotions, and actions. Colors are the most commonly used tool by children to express their emotions and thoughts. Scientific studies demonstrate that colors affect not only the outer layer of the brain but the entire central nervous system as well. When color is transmitted from the eye to the brain, the brain releases a hormone affecting emotions, mental clarity, and energy levels.
It is important to remember that color associations are heavily affected by individual experiences and cultural influences. Color preferences are also often linked to past experiences.
These are the benefits and roles of the colors used throughout our cards:
- RED- the most dominant color among all colors and is a strong stimulus. We have used this color in our deck, but very intentionally. Too much red can be overpowering and overstimulating for the child. We also use a specific shade of red to use throughout that is not over stimulating for most.
- ORANGE- softer and simpler in comparison to red, and represents happiness, sociability, an extroverted nature, and joy. It is ideal for overcoming tiredness. It radiates warmth, increases appetite, and helps you wake up early in the mornings.
- BLUE- reduces body temperature, blood pressure, and pulse rate. Blue evokes feelings of contentment, spaciousness, and comfort due to it being the color of the sky and ocean as well.
- VIOLET- denotes imagination and spirituality. It stimulates creativity and inspires high ideals. It is a reflective color, which allows us to get in touch with our more profound thoughts.
- GREEN- represents health and has a calming effect on the nervous system. Green is reminiscent of peace, calm, and quiet, and is the most relaxing color perceived by the retina.
- PINK- signifies compassion, nurturing, and love. It relates to unconditional love and understanding and the giving and receiving of nurturing.
- WHAT ECO-CONSCIOUS PRACTICES DO YOU HAVE WITHIN YOUR BRAND?
Our product does not contain any plastic packaging. Our orders are shipped in paper packing that can be recycled with other paper products - including the labels (did you know often, stickers and labels cannot be recycled and can send the whole bin of recycling to waste!)
Any coating or printing processes used on the deck itself have been chosen intentionally, with the intent of designing a long-lasting product. One that you use, pass down, and share! A long-term keepsake, with recurring reminders, benefits, and inspiration for the whole family, group, or classroom!
Within the deck, we have also dedicated an affirmation card that promotes the value of sustainability and caring for planet Earth from a young age!
As a team, our founders value sustainability in the highest regard and practice it within the production and planning phases of our brand and products. Minimizing plastic and making intentional, mindful decisions.